Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Thou Shalt Not Shaupaut

For today's memory, I don't have a screencap. I didn't think to take any pictures on this day. I didn't even know you could take pictures. At least not on this day.

This memory is of my first day in beta.

I had gotten through the tutorial area, and elected to land on Naboo at the Theed Starport. I stepped outside and was floored by the number of people. At the time, I thought they were all players, but some were NPCs.

A peko peko was attacking and several players were trying to take it down. As I recall, there were more then a few corpses. I kept my distance.

We could gear up at terminals that the devs had dropped down: weapons, clothing, who knows what else. The terminals were buggy and not very responsive. We all crowded around them anyway, clicking until we got what we wanted.

I geared up and left the city, determined to explore. I was amazed that I could go anywhere I wanted. I went south, I believe. I remember winding up in a very open, grassy plain where something attacked. It was a shaupaut and as much as I wanted to explore, he wanted to eat.

I started blasting with my pistol, not sure what I was doing. And I ran. And ran. And ran. The freaky thing gave chase. Well, saying "gave chase" is an understatement. He practically hitched to my tail-end and rode me half way across Naboo.

Honestly, I don't remember how it all ended. I think I got knocked out. He didn't "death blow" but went back to his spawn point. After some time, I stumbled to my feet, wiser and less brazen then before.

I never forgave that Shaupaut. It would be my nemesis for quite some time. At least until it's interplanetary cousin, the Squill, supplanted him as Vincer's Public Enemy Number 1.

No comments: